When Strivings Cease
Main Point: Strivings cease when we learn that God is enough in every circumstance.
- Striving for Love (vv. 29:31–35)
- Striving for Honor (vv. 30:1–24)
- Striving for Success (vv. 30:25–43)
- When Strivings Cease
Additional Sermon Content
- Definition of Envy: A feeling of unhappiness at the blessing of others (Rigney)
- The Idolatry of Envy: (Fill in the blank) “Give me ____ or I die!”
In the grip of envy, we weep at those who rejoice and rejoice over those who weep.
- Thank God for what you have.
- Pray for the good of those you envy.
- Think of all Jesus has given you.
Come to me, all of you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take up my yoke and learn from me, because I am lowly and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.
Practices to Cease Striving
- Schedule Sabbath. Set aside a day a week for rest.
- Strive by grace. Work by faith in God’s grace.
- Speak to God. Bring your thanks and disappointments to God.
- Seek Contentment. Consider ways that Jesus is enough in your circumstance.
other sermons in this series